Our future survival depends on us understanding each other but also accepting that we cannot always understand each other.
The following score can be undertaken in numerous ways, both complex and simple, short and long. It is a score which you might choose to do in a few minutes, or over a lifetime, constantly building it as you cross streets, districts and borders, encountering new people. It can be done with friends or strangers, in person or online. But above all it requires human interaction.
1. Think of your own personal mantra* which you would like to carry with you into the future. Try not to be precious. If you have some difficulty with this, please refer to the mantra subscore below.
2. Find a friend or stranger who can translate it into another language. This translation could happen in all kinds of ways (see challenges and variations below). The only rule is that it requires human interaction and thus should not be performed with a translation app.
3. Now the fun begins. Find someone else who can translate it from this language into another language.
4. Repeat steps 2 and 3 as many times as you wish. Think about how you can cross countries, seas, oceans, streets, firewalls and borders.
5. When you are ready, find a person who can translate it back to your mother tongue**, or a language which you are comfortable with.
This is your Lingua Hopscotch mantra for the future.
* a “mantra” is derived from Hinduism and Buddhism and refers to a word or phrase which one repeats to themselves over and over almost as a form of prayer or meditation. In this context we will think of it as a phrase.
** If you get stuck, don’t panic. Take the mantra in the language you do not know and learn it by heart. It will still have the same effect.